Wednesday, October 10, 2012

New Release - The Phantom Student will be here Oct. 16th!

The Phantom Pilot will be FREE this weekend! http://tinyurl.com/6uk5cp2   The latest review says: What a brilliant story.  I loved it and so did my daughter!  Five Stars!  It is the prequel to THE PHANTOM STUDENT which will be released Tuesday, October 16th.  Great Halloween read. It is also getting ★★★★★ in the early reviews.
 
Hi! It's October.
When I was a teacher of small children (yes, I know, chilling thought heh heh heh), I would always write October on the board with a jack-o-lantern in place of the O.  Simple, but fun.  Then we would proceed to read as many spooky stories as we could fit in for the month.  I love October.  Guess that's why I write spooky stories.  I think I've mentioned this before, but here it is again, Ray Bradbury's October Game is one of my favorite short stories of all time.  And his novel, Dandelion Wine, featuring The Lonely One . . . I still get the willies thinking about it.  Check 'em out if you like weird stuff.

Now, on to Ghosties.

Last night, I was sitting here, right here, typing on my regular old keyboard (old school) when something touched me on the shoulder.  That's NEVER happened to me before.  NEVER.  I jerked and turned around but, of course, nothing was there.  And the dogs didn't even stir.  Aren't dogs supposed to be hyper-sensitive to spirits and such?  Oh well . . . not sure what that was, but I have had some odd things happen.  Last time I told you about the graveyard-shift blond that gave me such a fright (not that I have anything against little people, of course not, it was just an odd thing to see that blond hair draped over the parking rail that way--in the middle of the night).  Anyhow, here's another odd ghostie-type thing:

I was sitting at the kitchen table with my mom.  We had just got up and were drinking our first cups of coffee.  I was a young newlywed, and we lived in a town nearby.  I was visiting my mom for the weekend since my husband was out of town for a couple of days.

Mom was just telling me that she'd had a nightmare in which her grandmother (my great-grandmother, of course) was stuck in a nursing home and calling out for her (my mom) to come and get her.  And to make it quick because she didn't have much time.  

My mother was very upset by this dream.  She kept saying, "I couldn't get there, I couldn't find her.  She just kept calling for me."

That's when the phone rang.

It was one of those old-fashioned wall phones and it was almost directly behind my head.

I jumped, spilled my coffee, and answered the phone.

It was my cousin.  "I need to talk to Peg," he said.

I handed Mom the phone and watched as tears welled up in her eyes.  When she hung up, she said, "Granny passed away about two hours ago.  I guess that's why she was calling me."

I almost fell off my chair.  I probably wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't been sitting right there at the time.

But when my own grandmother passed away many years later, this incident came back to haunt me.  Literally.  I'll tell you all about it next time.  But for now . . . have you had any odd things happen?  Ghost stories or unexplained incidents?  Leave me a comment.  I'd love to hear them, and I'm sure others would, too.

No comments: